List of registered .CAT domains
106,952 domains in this list
86 domains added on last
Web Server Usage Statistics
Website Geo Location
.CAT zone registar
Carrer del Carme, 47
Barcelona Catalunya 08001
Zone WHOIS server
The .cat domain is a sponsored top level domain created to be used by the Catalan region and all entities connected with the Catalan language and culture. It is a relatively new domain that was created in 2005 and it is administered by Associació puntCAT.
Before the .cat domain was created, some Catalan institutions refused to use the .es, .ad, .fr, and .it domains. As a solution, in September 2005 the .cat top level domain was created, with the objective being to meet the wishes and needs of the Catalan linguistic and cultural community on the Internet.
The .cat domain can only be registered and be used by the Catalan linguistic and cultural community. Screening is done both before and after registration to ensure registrants are part of the Catalan community. Registration is not only restricted to entities located in the Catalan region but to the whole Catalan-speaking community, whether or not a site is based in Catalonia. The following conditions should be met to register a .cat domain:
• Applicant must already have content in Catalan published online.
• Applicant must have access to a special code issued during special promotions or by agreements with certain institutions.
• Applicant must develop activities to promote the Catalan culture and language.
• Applicant is endorsed by 3 people or 1 institution already using a .cat domain name.
Some facts related to the .cat domain
• In September 2017 a Spanish court ordered the shut down of all .cat domain names that were being used by the intended Catalan independence referendum.
• On September 20 the Spanish police raided the offices of puntCAT and arrested CTO Pep Masoliver for failing to comply with the court order.
• On October 31, 2017 some Catalan Government websites including president.cat, govern.cat and catalangovernment.eu were taken down due to the political crisis in Catalonia.